While we would always recommend having your down item cleaned professionally (as it is a fairly difficult process), if you do wish to wash your down item yourself, please follow the below instructions.
- Hand or machine wash on a gentle 30ºC cycle with a specialised agent (such as Nikwax Down Wash Direct or Granger's Down Wash)
- Rinse to make sure there is no soap residue present within the product. If you are cleaning a box walled product, when removing it from the washing machine ensure that the weight of the item is supported by ‘cradling’ it in a bath towel or similar. Failure to do so may result in damage to the down compartments.
- Immediate tumble drying should commence in a commercial dryer on a cool setting.
- Remove the item from the dryer every 20-30 minutes, manipulating the down within the baffles to restore loft.
- Avoid the temptation to remove the item from the dryer too soon. Although the outer fabrics may feel dry and warm to the touch, the down contained within the baffles can still be clumped by moisture.
- Drying time varies depending on the jacket style and size but can take anywhere from 4 - 5 hours
- When finished it is advisable to store your jacket or sleeping bag uncompressed in a dry, cool place. Airing should continue for two days before use.